Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Word - North Mississippi Allstars and Robert Randolph

"The Word" is an unbelievably amazing album by the band The Word, featuring Robert Randolph on steel petal guitar (easily one of the greatest steel pedal guitarist in the world) and the North Mississippi Allstars.

I was listening to the album earlier today and realized that some of the songs are renditions of great folk/gospel classics such as "Without God" and "I Shall Not Be Moved"which has also been covered by greats like Johnny Cash and Mississippi John Hurt among others.  I also noticed that the song "At The Cross" follows the same melody as "You Are My Sunshine" and was reminded of our discussion of authenticity and genuinity regarding the voice of music.

Anyways, I figured I should share this with everyone because it is a truly fantastic album great for anyone who likes blues, folk, funk, or gospel. (Check out the steel petal solos on Without God)

I uploaded the album to rapidshare, here is the DL link:

https://rapidshare.com/files/755615555/The_Word.zip

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Aubrey Ghent's version of "Just A Closer Walk with Thee" on the Arhoolie Records 40th Anniversary Collection is one of my favorite recordings of all time (perhaps I'll share it sometime). I hadn't heard of Robert Randolph before and am glad to discover his music. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete